Electro Technical Officer (ETO).
Electro Technical Officer (ETO) Course is a Four months Pre sea Training course for Graduates those who have completed Diploma or B.Tech in Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Electronics & Telecommunication/ Communication Engineering or Electronics and Instrumentation or equivalent. ETO Course acts as a gateway for the Electrical & Electronics Graduates to enter into Merchant Navy.
Eligibility Criteria For ETO Course.
- The diploma/degree courses must have been recognized by any State or Central Government or the AICTE.
- Passed three years Diploma with 60% marks or four years Degree including lateral entry with 50 % marks in Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Electronics & Telecommunication/ Communication Engineering or Electronics and Instrumentation or equivalent.
- Passed 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics or equivalent vocational education course and English as a separate subject, with minimum 50% marks in English language at 10th or 12th or Diploma or Degree level.
- The Directorate has been receiving many representations from the Diploma/Degree holders who have completed their Diploma/Degree successfully, however, not obtained 50% marks in English language either in 10th or 12th standard but have scored 60% in Diploma and 50% in Degree courses. Directorate has examined such cases and permitted admission of such candidates for ETO course who could not score 50% marks in English at 10th or 12th standard but have scored 60% in Diploma and 50 % in Degree courses, will be eligible if the medium of learning in Diploma/Degree courses is in English language subject to fulfilling all other eligibility norms and medical fitness.
Age limit: Maximum Age of 30 years at the commencement of the course.
Maritial Status : Unmarried
- Candidates should be healthy and physically fit for sea service as per STCW 95/MS Medical rules 2000 and all its amendment as applicable to seafarers.
- Candidates will have to undergo a full medical check-up through our Panel Doctor approved by D.G.S hipping. (To know more about STCW 95/MS Medical Rules 2000, kindly visit D. G. Shipping website “www.dgshipping.gov.in”.)
- Distance vision (unaided): 6/12 in each eye; or 6/9 in better eye and 6/18 in other eye.
- Normal colour vision.
- Candidates will have to undergo a full eyesight test by a Company Medical Officer.
Minimum Height: 157 cms.
Minimum Weight: 48 Kg
Online Test/ Personal Interview/ Medical Test.
ETO Course Fees: Rs 2 Lacs – Rs 4 Lacs.(Depends on the institute the candidate gets selected.
DG Approved institutes for ETO Course:
- Anglo Eastern Maritime Academy,
- B.P. Marine Academy,
- Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies,
- HIMT College
ETO Career Path:
Career Path Career prospects on successful completion of ETO course:
17 weeks training at the Institute
8 months training on ship as Trainee Electro Technical Officer
Around 6 months sailing as Asst. Electro Technical Officer
Post successful clearance eligible for employment as Electro Technical Officer globally.
Career Promotion wise:
Trainee Electro Technical Officer – (Stipend Rs 30,000)
Asst. Electro Technical Officer – (Stipend Rs 50,000)
Electro Technical Officer- (Salary Rs 1,25,000).
Note: It is better for the candidates to select the colleges which provides 100% placement. Otherwise it is better for the candidates to get sponsored from the shipping company before joining the course.